Black wattle, vaalbos, poplar etc, as feed for cattle and game Selected bush, shrubs and trees as a bush feed. We also have sheep farmers doing this succesfully with +50 units chipping and grinding producing feed.
Give Ritlee a call for a demo or referel names.
As a feed for cattle here they are eating 90% wattle and 10% chop
Ritlee have sold chipper with grinder since January, 2016 where we now have some +50 farmers chipping selected bush and trees for cattle and game feed
Black wattle, vaalbos, poplar etc, as feed for cattle and game
After chipping and grinding black wattle branches with leaves 18 months old and younger using our 225 wood chipper with grinder attachment, a sample of Black Wattle was analised by a laboritory, they reported content has 31.94% Soluble Proteins, 13.59% Crude Protein &, 12.87% Adjusted Crude Proteins. Plus plenty more goodness and fibre! Please see all our Analysis downloads below!
A good customer of Ritlee’s who has 2 dairy farms in Eastern Cape and 1x Cattle farm in Botswana and has been feeding his cattle Black Wattle in Eastern Cape for the last 18 months or so sent me a mail saying:
Hi Marc, Butter fat levels dropped after Black Wattle chips were removed from the ration !! Very encouraging!!
Milk protein levels marginally increased … because of high protein pasture replacing wattle chips…expected !
I will also foward u some interesting positive (Botswana) feedlot results.
- He has 2x 225 chippers with grinder working on his farms in Eastern Cape processing Back wattle and Chop–Then 1x 225 Hyd chipper with grinder working in Botswana. (Doing Acasia)
- He has University students studying alternative feeds on his farms with really impressive and positive results which i hope to publish with their permission.
- Alan has told me that his feed bill has dropped by more than half since he started feeding his cattle with Black Wattle
Above is a video with Alan explaining his black wattle efforts. (Alan is situated in the Eastern Cape) Most of the pictures used on this page were taken at his farm. He has been feeding his cattle black wattle since about January 2016.
Sorry about the quality of this Video– best for now!– His message is what is important!
Please tell your farmer friends and assosciates to visit this page— All helps!!
Also— Selected Trees and shrubs like Soetdoring, Port Jackson, Poplar, Haak en Steek, Swart haak, Vaalbos, — etc can also be used as a feed suplement– see below for a more complete listing as well as Laboritory test results illustrating nutritional values etc.
Since beginning 2016 Ritlee have tried to assist cattle, sheep, goat and game farmers with both, equipment and gathered information for
feed suplementing in a economical way and using specific local bush and trees to achieve this end.
Below and downloadable you will see a good amount of interesting reading:– (If you have anything to contribute, PLEASE send me a copy for me to Upload on this page)
- Analysis reports of various bush and tree grindings, done by reputable laboritories, their proteins, fibre, fat, ME, ash, ADF, NDF etc
- A list of different bush found in SA with their palatability
- Full info on Brouse Plus, a suggested additive in the drinking water for the control of Tannin content. (Some farmers do not use this– They chip, grind and feed straight off! also with excellent results!–They say the Tannins disipate when chipping and grinding)
- A quick simple story about a animal’s gut
- Some Mixes.
- Downloads of Ritlee 225 Chipper with grinder
Ritlee started with their own manufacture and design chipper in 2004.
During the bad drought in 2014/5 Ritlee noticed in affected drought areas that there was no grass and trees and bush were eaten to a height typical of local livestock trying to keep alive.
This is when our investigation started with reading, discussion with agricultural colleges, discussion with farmers, etc as to the nutritional & other values of indiginous and invasive bush and trees found throughout RSA typically on farms and rural.
Because of the emergency we incorperated a grinder onto our Ritlee 225 wood chipper where in one pass, it chips and then immediatly grinds the chips produced into a calibratable consistancy ideal for cattle, goats, game (Young and Old) etc. This has worked well with more than 45 units now in the field being used for the production of feed.
Typically farmers are using the following bush and trees:
- Black and silver Wattle, Port Jackson, Soetdoring, Poplar, Haak en steek, Swart haak, Rosyntjie, Gwamiebos, Kameeldoring, Wag n Bietjie, Voelent, Gobabis, Prosopis etc–(all the Acasias)
- With Black Wattle farmers normally chip and grind branches with their leaves of growth which is in average 2 years old and younger.
- A lot of these have been tested and analised by professional laboritories — downloadable reports below!
- It is totally suggested that your local bush or trees be tested first before chipping and grinding through a Ritlee 225 chipper with grinder for feed.
- I am NO farmer and all I am offering on this page is results from a lot of reading, info from colleges and universities, from farmers, discussion groups on Facebook etc.
- Please if you get any analysis done, please send me a copy of the results to upload on this page for other farmers to refer to– The more info the better!
- Please send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone me on 0844534499
- Product wise, Ritlee really will appreciate any comments or sugestions you may have– this is the only way we can improve both our product and our company!
- With our Ritlee 225 wood chipper customers are our best salesmen — Happy – tell your farmer friends, not happy – please let us know! (We are always improving!)
In 2004 Ritlee designed and manufactured their first Ritlee chipper for the SA Market and its conditions, in which time we have now sold +600 units to farmers, contractors, councils etc.– Some 5 years later the first ‘copies’ started to appear. Please insist on our well proven H/D Ritlee 225 wood chipper which is available as a tractor or a trailer mount, both gravity or hydraulic feed and with options of fitting a chip grinder on discharge or a 90 deg turn for row prunings chipping!
When ordering a grinder attachment, this must be done at order. (With grinder, we have a manual operated trap door —open, normal chipper and closed all chips are diverted to grinding chamber for grinding!– Really does work well!
Our Gravity feed wood chipper is fine for Wattle, Poplar, Soet Doring, Port Jackson etc.
Our Hydraulic feed would be used for bushy and ridgid material like Swarthaak etc or material which goes really tough and non flexing during the dry months.
Botswana Area Chipping and Grinding Black Thorn picture gallery
Sieve Test through 15mm screen.
Ritlee Equipment & Reading downloads you can open to read, print or save
- Break the condensed tannin/protein complex to release proteins, which are essential for the action of the micro flora in the rumen as well as for the digestion of cellulose.
- Prevents the absorption of the hydrolysable tannins.
- Where structure of resin is modified, which then neutralises their negative effect on proteolytic enzymes.
- Allow the intestine to absorb vital nutrients more efficiently.
- Leaf intake of normally browsed plants, will be in- creased considerably together with plants not normally eaten.
- Increased grazing of less palatable grasses.
- Digestion is more active.
- Dung will become softer with a green consistency.
- Game animals will also benefit especially in draught conditions.
FEED ADDATIVE DOWNLOADS YOU CAN OPEN TO PRINT, READ OR SAVE!
Content you should read & Interesting reading on Digestive System:
Some Analysis of Bush & Tree Results
Analysis Reports Downloads you can open to read, print or save!
Some Interesting Reading and an Analysis of Indigenous Bush and its Palatability
Reading Downloads you can open to read, print or save!
Feed Mixes Farmer’s Have Shared with Me
Please will you forward your succesful mixes you feel other farmers will be interested in. I will upload load these on this web page!
To: email@example.com My cel: 0844534499